RE: Black step bars w/diamond plate

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:30:40 EST

Subject: DML: Black step bars w/diamond plate

Aaron,
This won't be a definitive answer but this particular use of 'nerf' goes
back at least to the 50's. Hot rods of that era replaced the front and rear
bumpers with nerf bars of tubing or pipe. The meaning that I derived from
the context at the time was that nerfing was a synonym for bumping or
hitting. Nerf balls and bats may have intended to convey hitting softly but
I'm guessing here. The only dictionary I have is a twenty five year old
"Collegiate ". A thirty-seven pound unabridged model may provide more
insights. Maybe someone else has a different or better view.

Neil