RE: Mileage figures for 2001, longish

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 12:14:09 EST

Neil W. Bellenger wrote:
> I've also found that "average" winter driving in our area can cause a 2-4
> mpg drop. The extra minute or two warm-up time in the morning, the slight
> increase in power necessary to push the tires through an inch or two of
> snow or slush, the unintentional wheel spin, and dropping into 4-high for
> the occasional snow drift all add up.

2-4 MPG? I don't see that much of a drop, but I agree mileage definitely
goes down. The colder air also contributes - more fuel gets dumped in to
compensate. I think most of my mileage drop comes from waiting around for
people in traffic. Which is why on snowy days I take the back roads to
work - no one else does. You probably get more snow than I do. I'm on the
wrong side of Syracuse, I think, to get the full lake effect.

> Last week I installed 32x11.50 BFG Mud Terrains for snow tires. After
> correcting for the speedo error, it will be interesting to see if there is
> any significant change in mileage due to rolling resistance or weight.

Does this mean you'll get dirty with us in July out at Jon's? I thought
about 32s when I replaced my Goodlucks but BJ's wouldn't install anything
but a factory size and I couldn't shop around - I needed tires *that day*.
John Neff's 33x10.5s sound interesting, I may end up going that route next
time (probably late next winter).

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com