RE: How to drive a 4X4

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 00:24:23 EST

I assume you have the NV231 transfer case (2HI-4HI-N-4LO)....

2HI to 4HI can be done at any speed up to 55 mph per my '99s manual.
4HI to 4LO should be done at less than 5mph, but no less than barely
moving-- it doesn't engage completely when completely stopped-- rolling
slightly while engaging 4LO will give a slight buzz/grind. Coming back
from 4LO to 4HI should be done in the same manner. DON'T PAUSE in N on
the way into 4LO, it will cause you to grind more. I have found that
moving from 4HI to 2HI sometimes causes a bind in the steering (things
aren't completely disengaged right away)... backing up and or some
turning in the soft stuff before you hit the hard pavement to make sure
things are 'undone' won't hurt.

Sam