RE: RE: RE: Header gaskets

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 07:43:11 EST

John,
Guess I should have been a bit more specific when I said the gaskets on the
website were the Ultra-Seal gaskets. They are the same shape, and look to
be cut the same pattern and size. The detail wasn't 100% conclusive. The
ones on the website looked like they may have been a black & white
multicolor mix, but I thought this was just the resolution of the scan or
picture taken. Other than this, they do look like the Ultra-Seals. One way
to tell for sure would be to order the Mr. Gasket set, and not the MOPAR
set. The Ultra-Seals gaskets are a solid charcoal/black color. Depending
on how they were stamped out, you will be able to see some of the lettering
on the gasket material that reads Ultra-Seal.

When you get your headers back from being recoated, check the flange that
bolts to the heads for straightness. I had to have my headers recoated, but
when they did, they did not resurface the flange. It had a couple dips in
them that mesaured only a .002"-.004" difference, but it was enough to blow
past the gaskets. Once I had the flanges resurfaced, they sealed properly
once again.
Rich