Mail Failures - An explanation and an Apology!

From: Chris Currie (ccurrie@src.net)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 11:47:23 EST

Hey Guys & Gals of the DML,

        Unfortunately those e-mails are being generated by our mail-server here. I
believe I know what has happened. When I am out of the office I forward my
mail to my ccurrie_mobile@hotmail.com account. We were experiencing some
e-mail problems with our mail server yesterday, and we determined that some
of the problems were related to a problem our ISP was having, not allowing
e-mail to be sent out. When a message can't be delivered by our mail server
it will store the message in a retry queue, and will keep trying to send it.
If it cannot deliver the e-mail within a certain period of time, it will
send a Delivery Failure message to the original sender of the e-mail. Since
the DML mail is also forwarded to my Hotmail account and because of the
problems yesterday, the messages would have been deemed undeliverable. Hence
why you received the Mail Failure messages this morning. Rest assured that
this is not virus related, so there should be no concerns there.

        I sincerely apologize to everyone that received the error message. To the
best of my knowledge, everything is fixed now so there should be no more of
these messages, other than the ones that have not received their mail yet
today. Once again, I apologize.

Regards,

Chris Currie
I.S. Administrator