RE: Fw: Weird engine codes on a 97, 318 Dak

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 18:18:12 EST

I've looked through my manuals and online references...can't find those
codes either.

Here's the test procedure for the '97 5.2L though...

"OBTAINING DTC'S USING MIL LAMP
Cycle the ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On within 5 seconds.
Count the number of times the MIL (check engine lamp) on the instrument
panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble
code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first
and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual two
digit trouble codes. An example of a flashed DTC is as follows:
Lamp flashes 4 times, pauses, and then flashes 6 more times. This
indicates a DTC code number 46.
Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, and flashes 5 more times. This indicates a
DTC code number 55. A DTC 55 will always be the last code to be
displayed. This indicates the end of all stored codes.

OBTAINING DTC'S USING VEHICLE ODOMETER
Cycle the ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On within 5 seconds.
After a short pause, the mileage shown on the vehicles digital odometer
will be temporarily deleted. After this occurs, read the DTC number
displayed on the odometer. Each two-digit number will be displayed with
a slight delay between numbers.
A DTC number 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This
indicates the end of all stored codes. After code 55 has been displayed,
the odometer will return to its normal mode.

- Bernd