Re: Clutch pedal down when stopped, good or bad?

From: Dave (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 23:26:37 EST

Well, just to let you know, it was the throwout bearing that went first. I
always hold the clutch in, and I drive it pretty hard. Made it to 143K,
which I thought was pretty good. We'll see how long this one lasts. I'm
still debating whether or not to take my foot of the clutch. I tried it a
few times today, just feels weird.

--
Dave
Denver, CO

""Jon"" <jonsdak@midmaine.com> wrote in message news:001e01c1aa0d$62457360$24fddcd8@ross... > It's all a matter of opinion. Theoretically, it's best to put the tranny in > neutral and let the clutch out (that's what I do), because then the release > fork isn't strained, and your TO and pilot bearings aren't spinning. > My dad, however, holds the clutch down in first all the time and he > currently has 198K on his Stratus. The clutch is starting to not want to > grab now, but 200K is a good run for a clutch. > When I get a new 4.7 5-speed Dak, I'll post how long the clutch lasts, and > we'll compare the results to someone with the same truck that holds the > clutch :-) > Later, > Jon > jonsdak@midmaine.com > The Dodge Diesel Website > http://www.dieseldodge.com > 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4, 3.9L V6, 42RE, 3.92:1 8.75 axle, "BackRack" > Headache Rack, Dodge Motorsports decals, steering wheel cover, and front > license plate, diamond-plate bedrail covers, Lund VentVisors, Lund BugShield > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:59:57 -0800 > > From: "Dave" <ded74@yahoo.com> > > Subject: DML: Clutch pedal down when stopped, good or bad? > > > > Ok, I just got my clutch done, replaced everything. I want to make sure > it > > lasts as long as possible. A friend of mine told me that you shouldn't > keep > > your foot on the clutch when at a stop light, that you should take it out > of > > gear until you're ready to roll again. Any truth to this? I've been > > driving nothing but sticks since I was 15, never heard this. Just > curious. > > Thanks. > > > > - -- > > Dave > > Denver, CO > > '93 Sport 4x4 V-6 > >