Interesting M1,4BBL Intake Theories

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 18:00:38 EST

I've been reading my Mopar Street Truck manual and they
have some interesting theories on single plane intakes. One that
caught my eye was related to my MPI, 4 bbl and the primary
exhaust size of headers used with this intake. They are saying
 if you want to keep torque and don't mind loosing a little high
rpm horsepower stick with the smaller header primaries (which
makes sense). This explains also why I still have plenty of torque
down low because I still have the stock manifolds and Y pipe.

Now understand my fear...I have a 5.2L that will run/outrun with the
best of stock 5.9s, but if I replace the stock exh. manifolds and y pipes
with
bigger headers that may be the end of all my torque (w/M1,4bbl). I've been
battling a decision for almost a year now to do 1 of 2 things:

1. Buy a good set of long tube ceramic headers.
                            ----- or -----
2. Ceramic coat a set of larger new '93 magnum manifolds and Y pipe
    and install them along with a 3" cat.

Gut says go with the headers anyway. Common sense tells me to
go with #2. Sheesh...I need to keep reading. ;)

George

'98 5.2L 5 speed,
MPI, Ported TB, IAT adjuster, FIPK,
Mopar 1.6 RR's and guides, Flex dual 210s
ASP crankpulley, Hardass Hotchkis rear suspension,
Yada..