Re: Interesting M1,4BBL Intake Theories

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 19:33:11 EST

At 03:00 PM 2/1/02 -0800, you wrote:
>-- SNIP --
>Now understand my fear...I have a 5.2L that will run/outrun with the
>best of stock 5.9s, but if I replace the stock exh. manifolds and y pipes
>with bigger headers that may be the end of all my torque (w/M1,4bbl).
>I've been battling a decision for almost a year now to do 1 of 2 things:
>1. Buy a good set of long tube ceramic headers.
> ----- or -----
>2. Ceramic coat a set of larger new '93 magnum manifolds and Y pipe
> and install them along with a 3" cat.
>Gut says go with the headers anyway. Common sense tells me to
>go with #2. Sheesh...I need to keep reading. ;) George

George

I think that the combo of MPI 4-bbl and MP (Leach) headers would
be aok based upon my experience. Although mine is an auto. and
a club cab., when I installed the MPI (a couple years after the Leach
ceramic headers), my 60' times dropped only by hundredths of a sec.
so loss of low end torque was not very much at all.

Long tube headers (I'm thinking of something along the lines of the
Hooker headers) will cause you low end torque loss though.

Ceramic will keep up the clean appearance of the headers and will help
to dissipate the heat a lot quicker.

I'm assuming, from reading your DML profile, that you're running
with a non-stock cam as well. That, along with headers, will help you
get more of the max. benefits from the MPI as well by moving the
power band up.

Also, if you plan on future mods (you've got quite a bunch already),
you're going to have to get it in the mid- to upper-rpm range with the
5.2L so headers will definitely be a benefit. You can compensate
low end loss with a numerically higher gear ratio (or, in my case,
a higher stall converter as well).

BTW, an R/T owner said that he thought that he had lost low end torque
with the MPI 2-bbl too.

HTH

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (racing weight)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 95.05 mph