Re: mike leach r/t headers

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 19:01:26 EST

On my otherwise stock R/T, using the Gtech pro as a guideline checking
horsepower to the ground only, I gained 14 hp by adding the headers and leaving
the rest of the R/T exhaust stock. I recently changed the stock converter that
is a 2X2" in and 2.5" out to a car sound single 3"in 3" out to a 3" pipe into a
3"in 2X2.5 out Dynomax with 2.5" tailpipes. Using the stock converter requires
using the stock extension pipes that come with the headers which are 2.5" but
taper down to 2" to fit into the stock converter. I had a custom Y pipe made
that is 2X2.5in and single 3" out into the car sound converter. This eliminated
the reduce to 2" into the converter. Gtech now shows a total of 20 hp gain over
the stock exhaust and manifolds. It is a lot louder too. Almost too loud for
my taste but the torque measured by butt dyno is much better also. Went from
spinning the tires at full throttle takeoffs to spinning them at less than 1/2
throttle and smoking them all the way through 1st gear at full throttle. I
retained the stock O2 sensors, reinstalled in a near stock way and have had no
check engine lights or any other malfunctions. I am very pleased with the power
gains. Gas mileage might be a little better but not enough to really notice.