Re: CB Radio Installation

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 17:39:36 EST

At 11:58 AM 2/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a friend who wants to install a CB radio in his 98 Dak CC. He asked
>about the install and I told him that I thought there was a post on the DML
>which outlined some special considerations about the install in a Dak. I
>have done a search in the archives but did not come up with anything. Can
>anyone offer some advice on this which I could pass along. Ron

Ron

I didn't see any responses to your query so I've pasted some posts
that I saved for a 'just in case'.

 From "Car37" on Nov. 14/01:
There should only be two, maybe 3 wires if it has a memory. A ground or
negative, should be black, power(12v) should have a fuse in line and should be
red or white, you hook to power, either the accessory line from you fuse
box or
always powered if you do not want to have to have the key on when using and
maybe one the is always powered to save your channel setting. The ground
should
just to to the frame, and some shops also install a fuse on the ground, but
you
don't need to. The power and memory line should be plugged into the fuse box
with a spade connector and there should be a place for this, if not you will
have to run a new line from the battery. I would avoid splicing into the
wiring
harness for power and make sure you use a fuse at the battery and inside
the cab
for the radio. Insure you do not hook the radio up backwards, there is
protection diode that is suppose to blow the fuse to protect the CB from
reverse
current but often you end up blowing something in the radio. What kind of
radio
is it, if it is a realistic or Cobra, the power wires should be a plug and you
should be able to go to Radioshack or other electronic store and get
replacement
wires for the radio and they should be able to help you with what wires to go
where. If the radio has been modified to transmit high power (wattage), it
would be best to run a new wire from the battery. That is what I did for mine,
I soldered a heavy gage wire with 30 amp fuse at the battery into the cab and
then attached the CB, cell phone, and extra accessory plugs with there
individual rated fuses to this wire. I do not have any pics scanned in yet.
Email me and let me know what you have and I will see what we can get done.
What kind of antenna do you have with it, the antenna also makes a big
difference with a CB and is often the item that is not thought of, a cheap
antenna can cause many problems.

 From "Gus" on Nov. 13/01:
                                             There are two wires that you
need to connect
and then the coax. The Red wire needs to be connected to a positive source.
You need to decide if you want the CB to be able to turn on if the key is in
the ace position or at anytime. Take a voltmeter and check which fuses have
+12 volts when the key is in the ace position and 0 volts when the key is
off. Or +12 volts at all times. Connect the Red wire to this fuse either
in front or piggybacked to the wire in back. Next connect the Black wire or
negative to a good ground. Usually a dash support bolt that is metal. It
can be checked with your voltmeter. All that is left is the coax. Just
screws into the back of the CB.

>From ttroidl@bluefrognet.net on Nov. 14/01
Hello, I have been a CB dealer for many years, (20+) you can email me
directly with any questions I'm sure I can help ya! Tony.
                                                on Nov. 15/01
First, DO NOT RUN A WIRE TO YOUR BATTERY!!!
All that will do is collect electrical interference from the engine
compartment!!!
Look for a CONSTANT 12v source at you r fuse box, put it on the memory
wire, then find an accessory terminal on the fuse box and connect the other
to that one, this will allow the radio to come on with your key, and 3rd,
connect the ground wire to some solid metal NEAR where you are mounting the
CB, you do NOT want it to be any longer that it has to be...
As for the antenna, I just looked at what you have, Not much of an
antenna... damn sure not worth $29! maybe $10, but then thats radio
shack....
Don't expect much out of that... For the same money the WILSON ANTENNA
(Little Wil) is 10 times the antenna!
You probably don't have an SWR meter? you will need to have SOMEONE check
it, to opperate the transmitter with a out of match antenna can overheat and
burn out the output transistor in the CB!
If in doubt, place the whip 1/2 way in, and leave it until you can have it
properly set! and do not transmit for more than short amounts at a time...
Hope that helps some...
Any questions just ask! Tony.

HTH. Bob.