Re: re: Hurst shifter

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz@sympatico.killspammers.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 16:41:26 EST

> Did your stock shift tower have a boss at each bolt hole? My 2001
NV3500
> did have and it sits up off the top of the tranny 1/4",

Yes it did.

> Also, the tower is
> made from composit graphite & not metal.

And so it is. It was cold yesterday and I didn't pay attention.

> The OEM gasket is just over 1/4"
> thick made from silicone rubber.This is the reason I had to make bushings
for
> all 4 corners. They fit into the OEM gasket and the bolts go thru them.

If I used the OEM gasket I would have done the same, but I stuck with the
one provided.

My guess is that all of these features are for NVH reduction. This way you
have only four small metal bushings against the tranny, with a lot of
rubber under the rest. And the metal bushings are mounted on a composite
tower. I'm guessing that's why the stock unit is so much quieter.

I'd be interested to hear the difference between my installation and yours.

I still can't figure out why yours would have a problem with the height?

Rob S.