Re:Re: Transfer Case Options

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:39:03 EST

Re: the AWD TC, I've yet to find anyone who doesn't own it, say anything
good about it.

I've heard it wastes gas, eats tires, wears out parts quicker and actually
has worse traction in AWD than a 2WD or RWD DAK.

When I push for explanations on the above, the mud flies (pun intended).

I've yet to have anyone, even DC, verify what wheel(s) are driven in AWD
on surfaces with plenty of good traction. I believe we have no full
time torque split, yet at various traction conditions, ALL wheels could
get torque.

Can anyone detail or point me to some verbage that explains exactly how
our AWD TC works in the conditions described above?

I do know the system differs from the Subaru system, where we give torque
to the wheel(s) that are slipping -vs- the wheel(s) with traction

I also know that in the pouring rain at a stop light, when it turns
green, and I punch it....no wheel spin at all, just plenty of torque,
getting thrown back in the seat, now tell me 2WD or RWD can do that!

FWIW, I've got a 2001 Quad Cab/4.7/3.92/AWD/ABS/LS/T&H/Sport+ with quite a
few bolt ons, averaging 16 to 16.5 MPG with the crappy winter gas they sell here in
the NE...I've seen 18.5 MPG during the summer.