RE: pinging and arcing observations

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@cox.net)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 13:33:20 EST

If you're pinging because of the belly pan gasket (one way to check is by
looking down the throat of the TB with the blades open) you're losing a lot
of performance, not to mention it's detrimental to the well-being of your
engine. Pinging is the ignition of fuel in the cylinder when the piston
isn't in the right position for it. That ping is like a hammer beating on
top of the piston.

If you're using MSD super conductor 8.5 mm wires you should not see arcing,
especially with a stock ignition. Keep your wires away from your headers.
They'll mess up the best of wires.

The stock gap for your plugs should be .040 to get the most complete burn
within your cylinder. Other things to check would be your TB and the
sensors that are a part of it. A fuel injector cleaner (like Chevron
Techron) every time you change your oil (assume 3K-5K miles) makes a big
difference in the long run.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD