Re: MegaSquirt

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 06:56:52 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> : "Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:
> :>
> :> Uhhhh...why are you releasing the BOM, PCB Schematics, and NetList?
> :>
> :Shane Moseley <smoseley@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> : It's not mine - fruits of Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo's labor. Come join
> : the party! Oh wait - the initial group buy is over. We are testing out the
> : initial design to get any kinks worked out before the next design mods.
> : Everyone's opinions/results will influence the next design and then onto the
> : next group buy for that design, another test/review step, redesign, group
> : buy, test/review, etc.
>
> Personally, I find it extremely refreshing to find other folks out
> there who don't kneel at the altar of the almighty buck. The sharing
> of knowledge and information for the purpose of achieving a greater
> goal - its beautiful. Too many potentially good things have been
> screwed up by the greed motivated "proprietary" mindset. (Heh -
> don't even get me started on software patents!) ;-)

'Tis a beautiful thing indeed. I can't wait to meet these 2 guys one day. They
are obviously driven by a passion for the technology instead of greed.

> Shane, thanks for the heads-up on the Megasquirt; looks pretty cool!
> I've been thinking about creating a simple EFI system based on the
> Microchip PIC series of microcontrollers, but it'd probably cost me
> four times the amount of this sytem on the R&D alone! :-)

I posted a couple messages awhile back before the group buy closed but it didn't
seem too popular at the time.

> I've been
> toying with the idea of converting the dual carb Intruder 1400 to EFI
> someday; I've just signed on to the mailing list; I'm planning to
> hang out there and see how adaptable it might be to a motorcycle
> application. Packaging and space constraints will be the key
> there... :-)

There are a couple of guys w/plans to install on Harley applications. The next
rev of the embedded software as well as configurator software is supposedly going
to include the support for odd-fire setups. Since the v-twin fires twice within
probably 100 degrees of crankshaft rotation (and not again for 260 or so degrees)
- there was a concern about potentially providing too much fuel for one cyl and
too lean on the other. Bruce is working on taking care of things like this as he
gets feedback from the group. Some others are just gonna modify the code
themselves rather than wait on the next rev. Nice to have the source code huh?

> PS: What are you planning to test your Megasquirt on, Shane? The
> Challenger?

Yes - I'd like to eventually get the Challenger's LA-360 MegaSquirt'ed. Since its
a carb job - I will probably set it up on an old Nissan 3.0L V6 motor in my back
yard. I helped a friend out a long time ago by towing his Maxima off the highway
after it broke down 'cause he was down on his luck. That was about 1.5 years ago
and he still hasn't come to pick it up. It has a bad transmission and maybe a
head gasket problem but since it runs and has all the injectors, throttle body,
and sensors - I thought why not use it as a guinea pig first 8).

I bought 3 of the MegaSquirt kits (2 are still in kit form never removed from the
box that Bruce & Al shipped) just 'cause it was such an incredible deal. The
Challenger will take the longest due to the fabrication of a fuel setup as well as
the acquisition of throttle body, sensors, etc. I might put one on my '93 Dak
that is also just sitting in the backyard as it has all the pre-reqs already
there. I recently acquired a '98 Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide-Glide that is pretty
cold-natured and one day intend to play w/it as well. It has a S&S Super 30 carb
on it right now and it will be hard to take that thing off 8).

I have been keeping up w/your 'Cuda EFI exploits on the MML and have enjoyed your
feedback there. If you aren't satisfied w/your current setup - or just want to
get a jump on the project - I'd be willing to sell you one of my extra kits for
what I have in it ($100 for a kit -or- $150 for my fully-tested, completed unit).
I'm not offering them to the general public but I do believe that you would
provide the required feedback to the MegaSquirt community that is needed to
nurture this project into the future. There are alot of carb freaks on the MML
list that don't think EFI is a viable alternative mostly due to cost. Something
like this would really turn them around.

Gonna cut this off for now as I am getting long-winded. Keep in touch!

Latr,

Shane