RE: Re: Odd running conditions

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 23:39:47 EST

While the thicker oil may help cure the problem, 20w50 isn't necessary
for our engines (unless you've got a lot of miles on it and the bearing
tolerances are getting worn out and need some thicker oil to help quiet
down the engine).

Try this first to make sure that the oil passages aren't plugged with
some "oil crud" (deposits) and/or the lifters at that...

Remove 1qt oil and add 1qt ATF (Dexron-III is just fine). Run it for
about 50 miles and then drain the oil and change the filter. ATF has
some lubricating qualities but is an excellent detergent to clean up the
internals of the engine (oil galleys as well). You can use Marvel
Mystery Oil as well but the ATF is less expensive and does the same job.
(Don't use that Motor Flush stuff as it's basically solvent...not a good
idea in your crankcase.)

After the oil change, run a quality filter and oil...

Another possibility: I've run Fram, WIX, Mobil-1, Bosch, and STP oil
filters on my truck. I had the same problem with the Fram (Regular and
XP series)and STP oil filters. The filter didn't hold the oil
(drainback valve related). WIX and Mobil-1 seem to do just fine without
any lifter clak in the AM.

- Bernd