A-500 Transmission - NEED ADVICE (begging)

From: Tom (Silver89) (Silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 22:12:49 EST

Yesterday I changed the oil in all three trucks. Today I am changing the
trans fluid in my 89 4x4. So I drop the pan and drain the fluid.

First some background info.

I have been having overdrive shifting problems. Overdrive will not shift
into gear. Occationally it will but then when the truck slows down and the
tranny downshifts, it won't shift back into OD when I speed up. I did notice
that it was shifting into overdrive when I had my plow blade hooked up to
the front end. Why that would affect the OD shifting, I don't know.

When I dropped the trans pan. the fluid was red, but there was a noticible
burnt smell. Not overpowering, but still there. There were metal particles
in the bottom of the pan. approx 1/16th to 1/8th in diameter. There wasnt
very much metal accumulated around the magnet in the pan.

I have ruled out the fuse (because the trans obviously shifts into OD
occationally, therefor its not the fuse),

I have ruled out the OD cut out switch in the instrument panel ( installed
the switch from my 2WD prior to dropping the pan, and it didn't correct the
problem).

It could be that the trans fluid was low. I didnt think to check the fluid
level before I drained it. Prior to having the new engine isntalled, I had
removed the radiator and the trans fluid cooler lines were dripping, and
fluid leaked.

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how hard or complicated it would be
to drop teh valve body? I was thinking about replacing the overdrive/lockup
solenoids (they are mounted together) Problem is I don't know how to get to
the other end of the wiring. It seems the wire gos up above the valve body.

There is one thing however, that I can't get out of my mind. The FSM says
overdrive shifts are determined by the SMEC unit, the SMEC checks coolant
sensor temp, engien speed, vehicle speed, throttle position, and map sensor
data.

the FSM states the following: "The transmission will automatically upshift
and downshift. All shift speeds may vary somewhat doe to production
tolerances, rear axle ratios, and tire sizes"

Now.. I have 235/75r15 tires... nothing out of the ordinary. But the rear
axle ratio... I don't know what they are soecifically, but I think they are
on the high end. Wngine RPM are higher than what my 2wd had at a given
speed. Crusing at about 55 MPH my engine RPMs are approx 2100.

I'm planning on changing them out to something more streetable. Any idea if
the rear ratio would have any impact on my shifting problem?

I need the overdrive working!!

"That one has a strange blue neon thing... I'm guessing theres cocane up
there" - Eddie Vedder

Tom (Silver98)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2
1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow