Re: Intermediate shaft?

From: Jim Rhoades (jrhoad01@win.org)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 23:16:26 EST

I have a '97 Dakota Sport CC 5.2L 2x4 with tilt streering and had the same
problem with the clunking sound on turns. I had to have the steering column
replaced to the tune of $500 (not covered under warranty...ouch). It turns
out the column they put is a different design from the original '97 model. A
engineering change took place in 2000 model run. You can tell by the shape
of the shift lever. I think there are problems with the 97-99 steering
columns.

With the new column installed I couldn't believe the difference in steering
feel, it was MUCH more precise. The dealer said that the column bearing went
bad and get this..it could "sieze up". I asked the dealer why a recall
hasn't been issued if the steering wheel could freeze up while driving. He
could not come up with a answer, sounds like bs to me. It was replaced at
60K and I have not had any problems since then and the truck now 80K miles
on it. It's been a good truck except for that part going bad.