RE: Intermediate shaft?

From: John_Neff@Dell.com
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 11:53:53 EST

You are correct sir!

Yes, the intermediate shafts on 97 and early 98's had problems. Seems to be
one of the carry over problems between Rams and Dak's though they use a
different part.

I went through two intermediate shafts before 40K miles. There is a TSB out
for this if your truck is still under warranty.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
Anyway I have a 97, 4x4 and just recently noticed the dreaded front end
clunking. My question is, is the intermediate shaft the steering shaft that
goes from the firewall (connected to the steering wheel of course) into the
power steering pump? Checking today I noticed that when moving this shaft
by hand under the hood there is a very slight play in it where it connects
right into the P/S pump. Very little, but still noticeable. Could this
amplify the feeling into the steering wheel itself? I also seem to notice
it going around slightly bumpy corners while applying the brakes lightly.
Any ideas or suggestions. <unsnip>