Intermediate shaft?

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:18:31 EST

Sorry for the 2 earlier "test posts" but I wasn't sure whether
dakota-truck.net or buffnet.net worked. But apparently they both work so
cool.

Anyway I have a 97, 4x4 and just recently noticed the dreaded front end
clunking.
My question is, is the intermediate shaft the steering shaft that goes from
the firewall (connected to the steering wheel of course) into the power
steering pump? Checking today I noticed that when moving this shaft by hand
under the hood there is a very slight play in it where it connects right
into the P/S pump. Very little, but still noticeable. Could this amplify
the feeling into the steering wheel itself? I also seem to notice it going
around slightly bumpy corners while applying the brakes lightly. Any ideas
or suggestions.

Thanks again people for any response and/or advice.
Jay

Yes it is a 97, I bought it new but it only has 31000 Km's on it.