Re: 4.7 Torque?

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 04:59:49 EST

> Why such low TQ numbers? Anything I can do to help this?

Believe it or not, go down in exhaust diameter. The free flow helps it
breathe, but lack of sufficient backpressure can drop torque.
A crossover tube at the proper point can increase low end torque and
increase high end hp. The position of the tube in the exhaust determines
what rpm the torque increase occurs.

I seem to remember from my hot rod days 318s (yours is a 4.7) seemed to like
1-5/8 dia. headers, and 2"pipes for best hp and tq. Seems this 2.5" stuff
these days is too big for a little street motor.
If in the 70s 2" gave the most power, why 25 years later the hot setup
becomes 2.5"?
Methinks I smell a marketing rat.....

"You cannot change the laws of physics." Engineer Scott, USS Enterprise,
NCC-1701 (various models)

Jon
STL MO