Re: 4wd on dry road, why not?

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 03:58:14 EST

Ok, generally, dragging a basically stock machine is not exactly healthy for
you truck, but then again, neither is "real" 4-wheelin etc. etc.......
So, taking that into consideration, i say go for it!!!

But, as for why they recommend that you don't drive on higher traction
surfaces in 4wd is because the front and rear axles turn at a slightly
different speed. So, if you do this A WHOLE LOT, you'll get premature tire
wear, for sure, but you may also experience some grinding and binding in the
drive shafts and axles. This would be VERY bad, and very expensive to have
repaired.
So, if you do it on the occassional trip to the drag strip, i wouldn't
expect much problems from it, other than the usual premature wear on
mechanical parts from the high revs etc. But do not do it often!

The Adam Blaster