Re[2]: Changing rear & front diffy fluids on a 4x4

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 09:43:12 EST

I did the same thing on my '98 4x4, I.E. used the same plugs and filled 'till it
ran out and made a mess. No problems so far. If it makes you feel more
conformable though, I wouldn't expect that these plugs cost very much so getting
a new pair wouldn't hurt.

I don't know what you had in mind for the front diff., meaning remove the cover
to clean and replace all the fluid, but I didn't go that route after inspecting
it. Getting the cover off and working on the "guts" of the rear diff. is a snap
but the front looked like just too much of a P.I.A. for me to deal with. All I
did was rig up a vacuum pump system to remove the old fluid. It worked for me
and I think it's sufficient to do this unless you think you may have some damage
in there.
Tom