Re: Re: Auto Part Stores

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 08:12:07 EST

> I agree with what Jon said about part stores, "what makes a good auto
> parts
>> store is not the name on the front of the building but the people behind
> the
>> counter".
I have to somewhat disagree with that statement.
It IS the name on the store AND the people in it, INCLUDING the customers.
Some of the store "policies" and procedures, such as Auto Zone's "if it's
not in the computer we can't sell it" policy is corporate driven. Lousy
company policy. It made me take my $ elsewhere. If others did the same, that
policy would change. Heck, why don't they just let us look it up in the
computer ourselves? Don't say that too loud, it's probably on the way! At
least we wouldn't have the frustration factor.

Auto parts stores are a service business. If you only shop price, you will
get what you pay for. You may not get the right part, but hey, you got
something, and it was cheap!
I'm not against saving a buck. But, if I'm spending my hard earned $,
shouldn't the person or compny I choose to give it to have to EARN it also?
Or should I have to deal with incompetence and tell the counter person how
to do his their job AND pay them to do it? I almost expect them to ask if I
want fries with my water pump.
Before anyone says I don't know what it's like, my brother worked the parts
counter at a Chebby dealer for many years, then at an independent parts
store for many more. I hung around when I was a kid, and saw and learned a
lot. I worked in a janitorial supply house selling parts and accessories for
industrial cleaning equipment. Yes, some customers are idiots. Perfect
example: A friend worked at a m/c parts store. A customer came in plopped a
greasy part on the counter ansd asked, "Got one of these?" Friend: "What's
it off of?" Customer: "A motorcycle." Friend: "What kind?" Guy:"A red one."
Friend:"What's it say on the gas tank?" Guy: (I kid you not-I heard this
story from three other people who worked there)"It says, Ass, gas, or grass,
nobody rides for free, my brother put it on there!" "Friend:"We don't carry
parts for those, see the dealer." Don't let your "customers" run your
business. As customers, we choose our vendors, as a vendor, sometimes you
have to choose your customer.
My brother is no longer in the parts bidness. Why? Two reasons. One, he
worked for a family owned store, and when a family member is ready to work,
you need to make room for them. Two, the old salary thing. When Auto Zone
came to town, he applied for a mangerial position. They were ready to hire
him immediately! Good salary, etc, then he found out the hours required. He
would be making less than he was as a counter person, and it ended up being
around 10 bucks an hour!! You can make that just about anywhere you go,
without the responsibility and headache.

Companies will hire the least competent people the customer will tolerate.
Think about that the next time you step up to the counter.
If you take your $ to a business that has people who know what they are
doing, and they do it well, they will prosper, and the ones who don't give
SERVICE-that is their purpose, after all-they will fall by the wayside. I
choose the former. Don't like the service? Go elsewhere! we have a sign at
work which reads: "SERVICE, QUALITY, PRICE. Pick any two."
Ya want price? Don't complain if you don't get service or quality.

Consumer economics 101 is over for the day. There will be a quiz tomorrow.
Rant mode off.

JMHO, YMMV

Jon
STL MO