Re: How do I remove this muffler?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 00:37:20 EST

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:

: What's my best option to remove my rusted-for-3-years stock muffler? The
: clamp nuts are so rusted I can't get a wrench on them. I tried some WD-40
: as well as "rust eater" and no dice there. I don't have access to a torch.
: I do have a complete replacement for the front clamp & hanger assembly.

: Should I just Sawzall the stubby pipes on each end of the muffler, then
: hope I can slip the remainder off the pipes I'm leaving installed? Or is
: there some other way? Or should I just bite the bullet and hand a muffler
: shop a few bucks and my Flowmaster and have them do it?

  Andy,

 Are you replacing it with a cat-back system, or are you just swapping
out the muffler? If you're doing a cat back system, just have at it
with the sawzall. If you're keeping the pipes, another option is to
just cut the whole clamp section off, then pick up a piece of exhaust
tubing or two at a parts store to go from the stock pipes to the muffler
on each side. (Some careful measuring may be required in order to locate
the new muffler in the proper orientation to the hangar.) Autozone
(uh oh, not that place!) ;-) has exhaust tubes for about $3 each. Its
hard to say though without actually looking at the truck and knowing
exactly what you're up against.

  BTW, if you feel like making the drive, you are welcome to stop
by; I'd be happy to help you with it - shouldn't take very long
with the proper tools at hand. :-) Jason and Norah will be
stopping by sometime in the fairly near future to do some work on
their Dak, we could probably coordinate a DML mini-meet. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'