Re: Working at a parts store, the truth! ~ long

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 22:40:50 EST

> Just like when a customer steps up to the parts counter they should know what
> they are working on. I have worked parts retail for a while before. You
> people that bitch and complain are the reasons I went to the commercial side
> of parts.
I guess that explains all of the incompetent and clueless counter people I
and people I know and the people on the list have experienced across the
country. It's the customer's fault the employee hasn't a clue. Yep, my
customers are stupid, and that's why I don't know the difference between a
window crank and a crankshaft.
Example:Just yesterday, my friend with the race car went to the Zone for a
gallon of coolant. When he went to check out, the guy asked if he was
changing the thermostat. He told him his car has no thermostat, it's a race
car. Immediately, the guy said ALL cars have thermostats, and if he uses the
wrong or no thermostat, he is violating federal law and could get in trouble
for selling the coolant!! So, he had to go through the drill of what kind of
car, etc AGAIN (you would think they would know him after a few years), and
when he said it was a 380 V8 he was told GM doesn't make those, especially
in a 2001 Grand Prix! He had to repeat it's for a race car, etc, and finally
got the manager to get the guy to sell him the coolant! But, it's the
customer's fault for this guy's ignorance.
But, based on what you said the problems there sounds like company policy.
Blame the customers, yeah, that's it. I've been behind the counter. I have a
brother and cousins who have been behind the counter. Why aren't we there
any more? Knowledge costs $$$. They can get a minimum wage dumbed down moron
to push the keys on a keyboard that tells them what to do and they still
can't get it right. Auto Zone will go by the wayside like the others with
that attitude. Hopefully. And soon.
If I was that incompetent I would be out of a job.But, I guess I could work
at Auto Zone. Automatic genius!!
BTW, with corporate policy like it is, it sounds like they promote from
within.