Working at a parts store, the truth! ~ long

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 21:29:33 EST

<<<Trouble is, these guys and gals are supposed to know about automobiles.
 That's supposedly why they got hired-they were supposedly knowledgeable of
 the trade.>>>

Just like when a customer steps up to the parts counter they should know what
they are working on. I have worked parts retail for a while before. You
people that bitch and complain are the reasons I went to the commercial side
of parts. Sure, some customers know what they are working on, and most at
least know about, I repeat, ABOUT what year the car is they are working on.
Then we have the customer that most people think is not too common, but ask
any parts retailer and you will learn they are about one out of every 3
people that prop up on the counter. They come in there wanting "a ummm erra
umm yeah umm one of those things that goes in the engine for a umm err umm I
think it is a umm (at this point he yells to his "friend" who obviously knows
even less than him) Hey Frank! What kinda car is dat!" To which Frank
replies in a matter of fact I am damn right tone, "it is a 87 Cutlass!".
So, after 20 minutes you finally figure out that they are wanting a coolant
temp sensor for an 87 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 305 in it. So, they get
their part and are on their way. Now remember, you get to go through about
two more "decent" customers before you run into another one of these idiots.
You look at your watch and start the countdown. Sure enough, 35 minutes
later the two boneheads are back. "Hey man! you gave me the wrong part!
This won't even fit in that hole!" Well sir, you wanted a temp sensor for an
87 Cutlass with a 305. Then the real story starts to come out. "Well umm
erra, we don't think that be the original motor in dat car." Ok, what size
motor is it? "It is a V-8" Ok, what size V-8? "I don't know! Your the
Parts man, ,not me!" That is when I will tell them, well, I don't know what
YOU are working on as it is not MY car and I am not the "mechanic" working on
this car. Now, is it a small block or a big block? "I think it is a small
block." Fine then. At this point you proceed to look up a temp sending unit
for a 75 350 out of a truck (don't ask me why, that is one of the more
popular places to rip them from) and give them that. You finally see them
three or four days later and ask if it worked. Of course, it fit just right
and they are now happy to be driving their hoopty around town killing
mosquitoes and annoying other people with the annoying sound of distorted
bass mixed with rattling sheet metal, most always from the trunk area. Now,
if you can think of how many customers most stores see each day, then divide
that by three, then you have the number of idiots that shouldn't even be
allowed near a philips head screw driver that come into that store. As for
"Have to go by the computer", that must be something either that Zoner or his
manager (yes, believe it or not, there are some stupid managers, but then
again, since you probably have a boss, you already knew this, right?) has
shoved up their butt and they are tired of hearing the truely stupid people
(refer to story above) complain about getting the wrong part, so when the
above starts to happen, they stick to their "puter lookup only" story to
clear the store of them. Just to drive the point home a little further, I
had to call the police on one customer. He brought in an alternator for a
warranty swap. I said, "Sure, but just to be sure that it is in fact the
alternator and not your wiring harness or external voltage regulator, let me
check it free of charge." The man said sure, but kept talking about how he
was going to get a new alternator no matter what. This kind of tripped a
light in my head, but I proceeded anyway. Ok, got everything hooked up, all
switches set, start up motor, hold this switch, bump this one for a sec and
let go. "Sir, you alternator is doing just fine. It should put out
anywhere from 13.5 - 16.0 volts, your is putting out a nice 14.7volts."
Customer, "So, I want a new one anyway, that one won't charge on my car."
"Sir, if it will not charge on your car, then you have another problem that
is not the alternator." "Just give me a new damn alternator so I can get out
of here." "Sir, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this one, there is
something wrong in the car. If you can get the car up here, I will be happy
to test the system in the car and try to find the faulty component." "There
is nothing wrong with my car you *uck off, now give me my Go* da*n
alternator!!" "Sir, under company policy I can not replace a working
component under warranty." "I am going to get a new alternator one way or
another!" "How is that sir?" "I will either get a new one from you, or I
will take it out of your ass!" I am not a big man but I am not small by any
means. This was the last straw, first he disturbed other customers, one of
which was my own mother waiting for me to go to lunch so I could replace the
alternator on her car for her, and then he threatens me physically. I picked
up the phone, he bellows "Who you calling little man?". I simply say, "I am
calling the cops to remove you from my store." He says "Oh sure you are,
your just chicken shit and don't want to be a MAN!" When the police ask why
I needed them I replied, "Becuase I have a man here who does not realize that
I licensed to carry a concealed weapon and he is about to find out the hard
way what a 45 ACP does to the human body when 10 rounds hit at center mass
and tear out his chest region." His draw dropped to the ground. He started
for the door, but it was too late, guess the mentioning of a firearm got the
cops there quick. Then he tried to pawn it off that he was the one getting
abused, not me! The other customers stood up for me and he went in on public
disturbance and assualt. I eventually got a rep of being a very knowledgable
parts man who doesn't take chit off his customers. I admit, I could be an
arse hole, but I also got you the parts that you wanted. I have actually
left my job in the computer industry to go back to parts sales. I am back
into commercial sales with a some counter sales also. I look forward to the
commercial part everyday, but I hate to walk around the corner if they need
help on the counter. One thing that parts people will tell you, the larger
the group, the less they actually know about the car one of them is working
on. I am quickly earning my rep back in my new area, but I like it. Now
when people come back after they learn about my rep the hard way, they know
what they are working on. And they are also learning that if they don't
know, they should bring the car up there if at possible or bring the part
itself in. If you think all this is bullchit, then feel free to give me a
call at the Zone that I work at now (I used to work for the now bought out
Discount Auto Parts). Just ask for Will when you call. The number is below.
 You can usually tell what the ratio of idiots for the day has been by the
tone of our voices. If you seem to be having problems with your Zone, give
me a holler and I will see if I can't give you part numbers to go back to
your Zone with.
<stepping down off my shoe box>

The other Will
662-324-1090