re:ABS-all or just rears, how do I tell?

From: Brett Forehand (brett4hand@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 18:03:04 EST

Jonathon wrote:
>From: "Jonathan" <jonathana@atsweb.net>
Subject: DML: ABS - all or just rears, how do I tell?

I have a friend with a 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport. He needs to
change his
brakes, and there are apparently two different types of front
discs
available, one for trucks with front ABS, and one for trucks
without. How do
I tell whether this truck has ABS on the fronts?

Second question, the same truck also has an issue with the ABS
and E-brake
lights both coming on and staying on for no apparent reason. Any
known
problems with this year/model that would help us diagnose this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jonathan,

My '94 has 4 wheel ABS. There are two controllers, one by the power
steering by the firewall, and the second is a "box" that has a black top to
it, has brake lines hooked up to it, and says ABS, located just over the
driver's side wheelwell. I just had my brakes totally redone, and it ran me
right at about 300 bucks. That includes new rotors for the front
(Raybestos) since mine were shot. Not sure where you're located, but Tire
Kindom in Palm Harbor, FL did mine.

Not sure what to tell you about the e brake and ABS lights coming on at the
same time. I had a major re-do on my brakes a couple years ago do to
contamination in the system, and both my lights were coming on too.
Hopefully you're not looking at that kind of repair!

Good luck!

Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota CC Sport