CB install done (almost)

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 00:13:42 EST

Here's the only pic that came out decently of my CB installation project this weekend:

http://www.geocities.com/geek_farm/Photos/Dakotanew/IMG_0164.jpg

I'd gotten a number of suggestions as to where to mount the CB unit, the best of which was to remove the in-dash cupholder and mount the CB in the trim plate. However, when I measured my CB unit, it was way to narrow to fill the hole. I even removed the entire trim plate on the passenger side thinking I could mount it beside the cup holder, but it turns out there is dash support behind the trim plate that would be unwise to cut out.

The only place left I considered an option was in the center section of my seats. I removed the cup holder that pops out the from and sure enough, the CB almost fills the space perfectly. So I drilled to holes in a metal plate that runs along the bottom of the seat frame and mounted the CB upside down so the mic is on the driver side. Wiring is neatly hidden inside the seat and then under the carpet to the door and under the sill plate up to the dash.

In the future I have a 6" speaker out of my cousins Honda that I will install under the center section of the seat behind the CB to use as an external speaker. The speaker inside the CB unit is audible, but not very well since it has to go through all that foam and wasnt very good in the first place.

Now all I need is $10 to get coaxle cable to wire the rod antenna mounted on the front of the bed, and I am done :)

Mike S.
1993 Dakota Sport
V6 5speed 2wd ext. cab

PS... I have a Gen II truck with Gen III seats, so the location I used can also be done in any Gen III truck with the split bench seats. If you have a Gen II and are interested in mounting your CB in the dash as described I have pictures given to me by a fellow on the DodgeDakotas.com message boards:

http://www.geocities.com/geek_farm/Storage/CBinstall-Eric/