Re: Brian-intake belly pan gsket

From: brian tully (btully2001@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:53:30 EDT

--- Patrick and Kelly Engram
<patrickandkelly@erols.com> wrote:

> "How long would it take to replace this by myself.
> have a week off coming up and instead of letting the
> trusty dealer look at it I may want to save some
> money. I have done an intake manifold gasket on a
> olds 307,(85) but that was pretty straight forward
> if
> I have to pull the distributer I may ask around to
> see
> how pricy this will be.
> TIA
> Brian "
>
> Brian-
> Leave the better part of a day to do it, or take
> it apart one evening,
> clean everything up,
> then put it together the next morning.
> The distributor stays in the truck, no need for
> removal. Now is the
> time for new cap, wires, rotor,
> plugs, belt, water pump if it's leaking, front crank
> seal, valve cover
> gaskets. The valve covers dont have to come off for
> this job either,
> and I'd leave them on to make sure no crud falls in.
> Other hints: Blow
> compressed air along the sealing edges of the intake
> to the heads so
> when you lift the intake, no crud falls into the
> lifter valley.
> I couldnt find any parts aftermarket, use the
> parts list on the tsb
> and get everything from your dodge dealer: he may
> have to order it
> overnight.
> The antifreeze has to be drained for the job, you
> could change the
> radiator and heater hoses now, also.
> Patrick

I looked last night down the throttle body and to my
surprise there was no trace of oil anywhere. I was
looking at everything last night and was glad it is
not leaking. I did let the truck run with the kn off
and sprayed some water down (squirt bottle) to get rid
of some of the carbon in the cc.

Pat thanks for all of this great info I will keep it
on record for a possible fix.
Brian