Re: RE: Questions about tire size

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 15:42:20 EDT

Brian Mingle <bsm11@cornell.edu> wrote:

: I think I am going to stick with 33's, unless I can find a reasonably
: priced suspension lift;-)

  Yeah, 33s are a pretty big tire, especially on a Dak. (Smaller body
just makes the tire look bigger.) I run 33s on my '92 Ram, maybe I'll
do a body lift or something some day and run bigger, but the 33s have
been fine for me. I have a 4" suspension lift on the Ram, and 33's
*just* clear at full lock. (I get some rubbing at full lock when it
articulates.) One thing with the 33s, if you run mudders, you can always
go to 35s in the future, cause they're probably going to wear out pretty
soon. ;-)

  Actually I've only got a couple of seasons on my tires and they are holding
up very well. They work great in the mud too. I'm using Cavalier Mud Kings.
I know, I had never heard of them either. :-) But the tire store where
I got them recommended them highly. They were about $110 a tire if I
remember right, for 33x12.50. If you're interested in seeing what they
look like, there's a bunch of pics of my ram on the BBQ and "Daktoberfest"
meet reports on the DML home page. They aren't quite as agressive as
a TSL Super Swamper, but they wear much slower and still have big lugs
to self clean and really get the mud flying. :-) Anyone at the BBQ can
attest as to their traction in mud. ;-)

  I've only gotten stuck once with those tires, but I was driving under
the influence of the Adam Blaster (Mr. Plow) at the time. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'