Re: RE: Re: Re: DaimlerChrysler 4.7 Engine Sludge Problems

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@clearsource.net)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 16:00:08 EDT

I am not saying anything bad about the 4.7 because I have one in a 2001
Grand Cherokee and it is quite powerful and quick in the 3800 pound Jeep,
but in a 5500 pound Ram it might be quite different.
In Car and Driver Magazine, April 2002 the big 4 American pickups were
tested. The total score was as follows;
Ford F150 Lariat came in fourth. The Toyota Tundra Limited came in third.
The Chevrolet Silverado LS came in second. and the Dodge Ram SLT came in
FIRST!!!. However, in power, acceleration at any speed the Dodge came in
dead last. In fuel economy it also came in dead last. Car and driver said
and I quote "Base 4.7 V-8 struggles against the 5460 pound weight.
Performance with the base 4.7 liter SOHC V8 is underwhelming. So is the
fuel economy, at 12 mpg the lowest of the group." On the plus side, the Ram
is the most roomy with the best rear seat access, the most comfortable for
rear seat passengers, and the best on the skidpad. They said it behaved
like a 3 ton sports car!
I am looking forward to a 2003 Ram and I doubt testers will say
underwhelming with the 500hp Viper engine aboard!!!!!!!!