RE: New Engine Break In

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@cox.net)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 00:31:51 EDT

Don't hold to a constant speed for too long. Fluctuations are good,
upshift, downshift, etc. Extremes are just as bad too. I would start away
from red line for the first 500 miles. As well, I would stay away from
driving 20 mph down the street. Your engine has already had a break-in
period at the factory. I changed my oil after 1000 miles but it's your
choice. I went to synthetic at the first change. I have a 5.9 as well and
my engine today (28,000 miles) runs great! You will feel more of a
difference after 10K miles rather than 5K. The only thing you may not be
too happy about is your gas mileage. 5.9's are like that...even worse after
the mods start happening, especially those that cause your right foot to
become extremely heavy. Good luck and Happy Dak'ing!

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD