Interior rattles, gauge illumination color

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.net)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 20:56:19 EDT

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 Dakota (CC, SLT) and it's developed a couple of annoying
interior rattles. Firstly, the black dash face (the big piece that has to
be removed in order to replace the stereo -- sorry, can't think of a better
way to describe it) is causing some kind of rattle, although I haven't yet
determined if it's the piece itself or something it hits when it's
on. (Without it on, there is no rattle) Anyone else had this
problem? Are there any aftermarket replacements that are a little bit
better quality?

Also, the plastic piece in the seatbelt height adjustment on the
passenger's side is loose and making some noise when I go over bumps. I'm
sure I caused this when I was replacing the rear speakers. It seems like
the trim piece that goes over the seatbelt adjustment can be pushed in
quite a bit further than it is, although there don't seem to be any clips
to hold it in. If I push it in and hold it there myself, the seatbelt
adjuster is once again tight. Any ideas here?

Stupid questions, I know, but I'm very picky about rattles and such.

Also, is it possible to change the color of the light that illuminates the
instrument panel? My boat's instrument panel is illuminated in a
reddish-orange color that is really a lot less distracting at night (and
looks cooler). Does the color actually come from the light, or is it part
of the instrument panel face?

Thanks,

-Bill