RE: 4.7 HO (cold air intake)

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 22:13:07 EDT

Brian,

I have been reading a whole bunch on this topic recently as well. From
what I could gather on my own (and others who will remain nameless to
protect them from my newbieness) it seems one of the biggest benefits is
much better overall airflow. Part of that would be the hi-flow filter
and another would be the smooth path to the throttle body. In the stock
configuration, the airbox has to pull in air thru a small opening toward
the bottom, pass it thru a nasty paper filter, trek thru a corrugated
tube to the air hat and then make one last jerky curve to the TB. Thats
a whole lot more opportunity for turbulence than a smooth aluminum tube
(that looks great too :)

I dont claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the
design of the Z tube in particular seems to be a much better path for
the air to follow.

I cant speak to the "cold" air aspect of this (or does the faster
flowing air inside keep the tube cooler?). It does seem to make sense to
have some sort of air dam to protect it from the hot air next to the
engine, but if you're doing a 60-100mph passing lane test (just to
"test" it out :) I dont think you'll have much to worry about. The cool
air is going to be flowing into the engine compartment fast and cool
enough to make an air dam more of a hinderance to free air flow (?).

Again, I could have this all bass-ackwards. I've read so many different
viewpoints on the subject of air intakes the past week my head hurts. I
just went with what I know is a performance difference - more air! In
fact, I ordered a Z tube with a 7" Big Mouth from Bernd (free plug:
http://www.speedtweaks.net) earlier today. I figure it cant hurt to give
it a try, and once I get a new TB and exhaust I'll definitely need the
extra flow.

Hope that helps!!

-adam