Re: Exhaust bottleneck?

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 10:27:27 EDT

hey guys, some thoughts...

> If you are planning for modded truck then go with the 3-inch to the rear
for
> a single exhaust and 2.25inch sounds good but add a 'X' pipe (Gibson
design)
> for a cross-over between the exhaust for back scavenging and a balance
> exhaust flow.

Okay, pardon the ignorance, but what exactly is "back scavenging"? I've seen
that term tossed around but dont really understand what it is. Also, since
this is just a dual exit, not a true dual from the headers, would I really
need an X or H pipe?

> Look for the least bends/kinks or turns in the pipe as possible for any
> added flow restriction.

The guy I plan on going with for the catback is supposedly well-known for
very clean bends, so I should be okay in that aspect.

> Flowmaster 40, talk to Chris Lambert (Dakota USA) on this subject. He can
> testify the noise level and amount car alarms he setoff when coming in the
> local neighborhood. Hehehehehe
>
> The Flowmaster 50 is much quieter than the 40 series.

Definitely gonna go with a 50 series. Anything louder and the neighbors will
be bitchin... One question though - Which is going to be louder in the
cab - a Flowmaster 50 or a Magnaflow XL Turbo?

TIA...

-adam