Re: Oil Pressure Problems

From: scsilverdak (scsilverdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 16:34:34 EDT

I've heard that switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil after a
certain amount of mileage can cause problems with oil consumption and oil
pressure levels, I run MOBIL-1 10w30 year round with no problems and my oil
pressure is always good, it'll vary from the mid point on the gauge to just
shy of the mark towards the high side depending on RPM. I switched to it
after the initial break-in period at approximately 3,000-3,500 miles and
have had no problems at all. How many miles were on the engine when you
changed to synthetic?

On a side note what oil filter are you using? I've run into some brands that
effect oil pressure due to design problems. All I use are the MOBIL-1
filters, they have higher burst pressures, better media for enhanced
filtration. They'll handle upwards of 500 psi without failure
and if you hold one compared to other brands there is a
weight difference over say a FRAM, BOSCH,STP, or
MOPAR replacement filters. I split one open once after
using it and it traps a heck of a lot more dirt, and debris
than any filter I've used.

just my .02 cents worth!

Ron-
2001 Dakota Sport 3.9 supercharged br silver
e-mail: scsilverdak@hotmail.com
website: www.scsilverdak.com