RE: Re: 76 Competition 100 Unleaded Racing Gasoline

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 09:53:09 EDT

Steven, Shell research seems to think differently about octane:

http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclopedia/gasolines/octane.html

Here's another one:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/rt-fuel1.html

"Octane, as you can see, is not a measure of how much power--or, more correctly,
specific energy--is contained in a fuel. And remember that leaded high-octane
race fuels burn slower than most unleaded fuels, and may reduce performance in
stock or lightly modified motorcycles. A high octane rating itself, however,
does not mean that the fuel is slow burning. Hence, it has no direct bearing on
the power characteristics of the fuel."

Now oxygenated fuels such as Nutec, http://www.nutecdivision.com/ , do create
more power across the board. That stuff makes the Phillips 76 seem as cheap as
water.

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.55 LSD 9.25"