Re: RE: Dash gone nuts - no bus? Need help fast!

From: Rob (dakota99@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 04:40:18 EDT

Instrument Cluster - Erratic Operation

NUMBER: 08-05-00

GROUP: Electrical

EFFECTIVE DATE: April21, 2000

SUBJECT:
Intermittent Operation Of The Instrument Cluster

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the instrument cluster wire harness
connector and associated wire terminals.

MODELS: 1999 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
      1999 (AN) Dakota
      1999 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
      1999 (DN) Durango

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The needle of the instrument cluster gauges may intermittently drop to zero
and/or the telltale lamps, such as the AIRBAG warning lamp, may
intermittently come on.

DIAGNOSIS:
Connect the DRB III® to the 16-way Data Link Connector (DLC). Read and
record all active and stored Airbag Control Module (ACM) Diagnostic Trouble
Codes (DTC). If active and/or stored "No Cluster CCD Bus" DTC is present,
perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED: 1 05016640AA Kit, Instrument Cluster Harness Connector
Wiring Repair

      Kit Includes:
      (1) Cluster Connector With Terminated Wires
      (1) Pink Wire With Terminal
      (1) Yellow Wire With Terminal
      (1) Black Wire With Terminal
      (1) Black/Orange Wire With Terminal
      (10) Heat Shrink Tubing
      (12) Splice Bands

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Soldering Gun
Rosin Core Solder
Heat Gun

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND
DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

      1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. On vehicles
equipped with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine, disconnect and isolate both
battery negative cables.

      2. Remove the instrument cluster bezel. Refer to the appropriate
Service Manual, Group 8E, for information regarding Instrument Cluster Bezel
removal.

      Then is lists the rest of the steps to take the cluster out and
replace/resplice the wires behind it.

      let me know if you need the rest

      Rob.