Re: RE: OT - Drool Time

From: Dave (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 22:49:13 EDT

I may give it a shot sometime, right now I'm hooked on the "go as fast as I
can" bug. Luckily my budget is keeping the mods coming at a rate that's got
me happy for now :) First goal is 13's, then 100mph. I ran a 15.04@ 90.05,
spinning like crazy, with some practice I'm definitely in the 14's...I think
lol. You really get an appreciation tho for how much a few tens of a second
really means, and what it takes to get there. I'm gonna try to get to the
track after my B&G flash, see how much of a difference that makes, before
the M1 goes in, and of course again after that. And somewhere in there will
be the exhaust too. I've always known that a fast truck would be dangerous,
I just wasn't thinking about the danger to my checkbook :P

--
Dave
Bensalem, PA

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message news:ae6a3g$g1u$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > "Dave" <ded74@yahoo.com> wrote: > > : That's why I could never do bracket racing. I mean winning is cool and all, > : but how much fun can you have running the same mid 17s all day long? I say > : ya run what ya brung and just have fun, win or lose. :) > > > You might be surprised! :-) I haven't been to the track in over a > year now and I really miss it. I'm a bit wary of going back though > just because I've got my finances strung rather thin, and I don't > want to risk breaking something. So, I've been toying around with > the idea of a throttle stop that would only give me 50% of the pedal > travel. Might help things out in that department. > > It doesn't matter how fast you are - the spirit of competition is > there. At our track, we just race for trophies but the competition > can get INTENSE! Each race has SO many variables to take into account, > and there are actually several races going on at once. First, you're > racing against yourself, by keeping yourself and your vehicle consistent, > you're racing against the clock, you're racing against the weather and > track conditions, and finally there's that guy in the other lane who'se > sole purpose in life is to beat you. > > The stakes aren't really that high (just a plastic trophy) but the > feeling you get when you cross the line and your win light comes > on is like nothing I've ever experienced - I'm a pretty reserved guy > but I have whooped and hollered as I crossed the line and had the win > light come on. (It gets more intense the deeper into eliminations you > get.) On the other side of the coin, when the other guy's light comes on, > the feeling in the pit of my stomach is awful. You'd do practically > anything to just "rewind" time for 30 seconds. > > I can only immagine the level of emotion in the professional ranks > where there is actually something besides a trophy and personal pride > at stake. > > If you haven't tried bracket racing, I would recommend giving it a > go. Be sure you understand what is going on though - that's a must. > Stumbling through anything without understanding it is rarely fun. > For the most part, I have only raced my mid 14 sec. Dak, but I have also > taken my 18 second Ram and once, a 23 second Izuzu. I must admit, it > *is* nice to be able to run fast, and I love to run down a slower vehicle, > but once you get to the bracket racing, the actual speed of your vehicle > has very little to do with the fun factor. That's been my experience at > least. > > -- > > -Jon- > > .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. > | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | > | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | > `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'