Re: RE: Re: K&N FIPK 4.7 questions

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 12:42:14 EDT

Curt,

There are a couple things really, and to be honest I'm not totally sold on
the K&N either. The main problem I have with the Z-tube is how it mounts.
The _only_ mounting point for the Z-tube is at the throttle body, and this
is with a rubber coupler. Now, no matter how tight you butt up that tube
against the TB, it is still rubber that is holding those 2 pieces together.

Having said that, I made double sure to hold the tube against the TB
securely while my bro-in-law secured the clamps around the coupler. But
remember what is holding the tube to the TB - it's still rubber and it will
flex. The main issue is that the tube runs over areas like A/C lines. I go
over enough speed bumps and drive on rough enough roads to _know_ that the
tube is going to bounce. I can move it up and down enough with my hand, how
badly is it moving around when a lot more force is applied thru gravity? I
know I installed it as well as can be expected, and honestly, it's not
secure enough for me.

A smaller issue is the lack of a heatshield. I know it wouldnt really matter
at higher speeds, but I do spend a lot of time driving in traffic. The last
thing is the location of the hook-up for the breather tube is oddly located.
It doesnt seem to be in the right place so the stock breather tube doesnt
fit correctly (tube will kink).

Now I know that some people wont care as much as I do about the above
"complaints". My point is that for $240+ I shouldnt have any complaints
about it at all. Which brings me to the K&N - The setup is too much like the
Airaid to interest me much. I like the fact that the Z-tube has an
open-ended filter and it sits right in the path of incoming air (once that
rubber flap is removed beside rad). I do like the silicone tubing used on
the K&N as it seems it would dissipate heat better than ceramic coated
aluminum which seems to conduct heat.

All in all, I may end up sticking with the Z tube because I already have it
and the alternatives arent any great miracle pills. I know I could fashion
up some sort of bracket to secure it better, I just wish I didnt have to.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions...

-adam