Re: RE: Air Intake idea answer

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 22:06:40 EDT

"Mallett, Donald B" <Donald.Mallett@bnsf.com> wrote:

: I know i'm a few days late with this but I was on vacation for the last week
: and do most of my DML digest reading at work;}

: I put a foil faced insulated tape on my homebrew intake over two years ago
: and I have measured the in coming air at the TB and found only 2 to 3 deg
: rise in the air from the outside air temp. I have pics on my web site. The
: tape has held up great for being two years old! I think the thermo wrapping
: would work but a pain to work with and would not last under the hood without
: some kind of covering on it.

 Don,

  Just out of curiosity, did you measure the temps before the wrap? It
would be interesting to see how much of a drop the insulation gave you.
The reason I ask is there are a couple of Daks now running around with
"Steiger Performance" prototype intakes, and in doing some testing
on a prototype cold air box, we noticed that the intake temp was only 2
degrees below ambient. We were pretty happy about that until we
pulled the airbox and discovered that the intake temps were now
a whopping 4 degrees above ambient! ;-) That was in ~50 degree weather
though, I have yet to test it in the summer heat, which I plan to do
soon. I have a hunch though that a cold air box isn't going to be
worth the expense. ?

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'