Re: Excessive Oil Consumption revisited

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 13:16:01 EDT

<Ok,

<I know I've spammed you guys with this before... But its recently come
<to my attention that this problem is a tad worse than I thought... Not
<tooo long ago, I did the little self tune up thing, because I was
<worried about meeting california emissions... And I did complete oil
<change with filter etc... Less than a week later I needed to add one
<quart of oil. I have 77k miles on my little 3.9l v6... And I don't
<believe its my bellypan gasket

<Somone said it could be a headgasket, which I am hoping its not... But I
<would like recommendations.

<My truck passed smog with flying colors, and it doesn't leak oil on say
<the ground when it sits a while or anything... So the bask truth is, I
<have *NO* idea where the oil is going.

<Any advice would be wonderful

Not trying to belittle you, but did you start the truck after you changed
the oil and filter, let it run for a few seconds until the pressure came up
then shut it down and check the oil level? Its possible that the oil filter
wasn't filled if you didn't do this. Also, usually if a head gasket is
blown, the oil level on the dipstick will increase and look like kaopectate
from coolant leaking into the oil passages. Check around the oil pan
gasket. I'm pretty sure there is a TSB on it. Mine doesn't use any oil yet
(3.9L, V6 78K), but every time I change my oil it looks like the oil pan
gasket has some seepage especially around the front of the pan. Its
possible that its not leaking at idle or parking lot/driveway speeds but
under highway load the temp and pressure could cause some leakage.

HTH

Ray
Dover, DE