over-torqued nuts and bolts

From: Carter, Brian (brian.carter@texian.org)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 13:29:06 EDT

Yesterday I went to loosen the lug nuts on the real wheels. The only
wheel that has ever been off (2 years ago for a flat repair), was
severely over-torqued by Discount Tire. I bent my lug-wrench!

Unfortunately, I also rounded one of the lugs - so I have to figure out
how to get that off. I would prefer to do it without messing up the
wheel or the lug. Genrerally Discount Tire is really good about
servcice, so I will take it back there and see if they can remove with
an air impact wrench. If not, I guess I will pay somebody to remove it.

I also replaced the transmission filters (45RFE). Since it is an
aluminum body tranny, I was real careful with the bolts. I put them back
finger tight, and then went to tighten them with a torque wrench. On the
last one, it never even got close to 40 inch-pounds (calls for 105) and
it just kept spinning. When I pulled the bolt, the threads were full of
aluminum.

The only thing I can figure is that when the Dodge dealer did the last
trans filter change, they overtorqued the bolts (they were very tight).
But I didn't match up bolts to holes as they came out, so I am confused.
I know I didn't overtorque it. So, now I am looking for a helicoil kit.
Again, it has been a really long time since the last service, so it
isn't like I can take it back and complain (not to mention being
uncertain exactly what happened).

BTC