Re: over-torqued nuts and bolts

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 14:46:05 EDT

Hi Brian, I had a similar thing happen the first time I did a trans
fluid change on my 2wd truck. I forgot it was aluminum! I overtightened
one of the bolts as well. So far it has not leaked, and this happened
over a year ago. My guess is that as long as its only one bolt - you
should be OK. If its possible - use a nut on the other side of the bolt
- with a little thread locker. Otherwise you will have to drill and tap
the hole again.

As for the lug nuts - you might not have much luck with them becuase the
tire change was done 2 years ago. Either way though - if the lugs were
overtightened I would recommend replacing the studs. Last thing you
want to have happen is have the wheel blow off while driving, because
the lugs were tightened too much and the studs were damaged.

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver98)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow

Carter, Brian wrote: > Yesterday I went to loosen the lug nuts on the real wheels. The only > wheel that has ever been off (2 years ago for a flat repair), was > severely over-torqued by Discount Tire. I bent my lug-wrench! > > Unfortunately, I also rounded one of the lugs - so I have to figure out > how to get that off. I would prefer to do it without messing up the > wheel or the lug. Genrerally Discount Tire is really good about > servcice, so I will take it back there and see if they can remove with > an air impact wrench. If not, I guess I will pay somebody to remove it. > > I also replaced the transmission filters (45RFE). Since it is an > aluminum body tranny, I was real careful with the bolts. I put them back > finger tight, and then went to tighten them with a torque wrench. On the > last one, it never even got close to 40 inch-pounds (calls for 105) and > it just kept spinning. When I pulled the bolt, the threads were full of > aluminum. > > The only thing I can figure is that when the Dodge dealer did the last > trans filter change, they overtorqued the bolts (they were very tight). > But I didn't match up bolts to holes as they came out, so I am confused. > I know I didn't overtorque it. So, now I am looking for a helicoil kit. > Again, it has been a really long time since the last service, so it > isn't like I can take it back and complain (not to mention being > uncertain exactly what happened). > > BTC