Re: Changing Spark Plugs -Why are there heat shields

From: chas williams (chas@locutus.cmf.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 09:39:32 EDT

In article <5.1.0.14.2.20020626141958.00a0de70@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu>,
Brian Mingle <bsm11@cornell.edu> wrote:
>Engineers don't use common sense when building new cars, nor do they cater
>to the backyard mechanic. They design everything so that it has to be taken

if you think the dakota's plug shields are difficult just try
changing the block in a gen 4 firebird. the exhaust manifold
runs above the plugs and the engine is so far back into the engine
bay that there is no clearance to get the the plugs from above
(except for the ones are the very front). and of course, getting
at things from the bottom of an engine is difficult since you have
to reach through the steering and suspension to the middle of the engine.

3 hours versus 1/2 hour (even with the plug shields slowing me down)