Re: DML BBQ Information

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 00:55:13 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> The general condition of the trails is good. A little more dry
> than it has been in past years.

Dryer than last year!? Yeesh...we'll never get to really compare my
BFGs to the Goodyears I had at BBQ '00.

> Mud lane has a bit less mud, but makes up for it with huge ruts with
> mud in the bottom. I'm definitely going to take that section slower
> than I did last year. Might even try crawling through. I have a
> feeling some Daks and Jeeps are going to get high centered here. :-)

I bet there's a Jeep stuck before there's a Dak hung up. :)

> After being away
> from it for a year, I start thinking to myself, "hey, I might be able
> to get up there", but standing at the bottom of it quickly puts that
> idea to rest. :-) Actually, I probably could climb it, but only by
> dragging myself up with the winch. ;-)

Walt has a serious thing for that waterfall. I know he's dying to take
a crack at it with the tall Dak.

> The hill that goes down to the upper waterfall I am considering
> naming "washout hill" because that's what it has done! There is
> a huge rut running down the middle of it near the top. It was
> fairly challenging traversing it with the ATV - could be interesting
> in a truck...

Worse of a washout than last year? Yikes! I know a couple of the Jeeps
had trouble there last year, and a few of us were dragging various bits
at times coming up.

> Oh, one place that definitely has no lack of mud and water is
> the mud pit. :-) I'll be draining off a foot or so of water
> just before the event so we don't have a repeat of Daktoberfest
> of flooded engines and broken fans. :-)

Killjoy :)

> There is no shame in
> going around an obstacle instead of through it.

Unless a Jeep walks through, challenges your (wo)manhood, and you don't
accept :)

> Then heading out for ice
> cream around 6-7pm, as there will be several Jeepers who will be
> driving to Syracuse that night, who can leave right from there.

Now hold it right there Jon. We aren't due to get ice cream again until
DML BBQ '04 :)

> I guess that's about everything - wow only 6 days away now -
> I've got some work to do!! :-)

Same here. Already got the rubber floormats, mud boots, and tow gear in
the Dak and I think I'm going to attack the fan shroud on the 4th while
my girlfriend's at work, along with a TB cleaning and new spark plugs.
I almost cleaned my air filter today, but that'd be pretty stupid,
wouldn't it?.

Still hasn't sunk in that the BBQ is just next weekend. Guess I gotta
get on the stick and arrange the caravan with Neil.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com