Re: DML BBQ: Oh the humanity!

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 08:30:55 EDT

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:51:37 -0400, Dakota Dodge wrote:

> Well...for all those that want to know...the cost for a new t-case is
> $1500.00. Plus 300.00 for labor. Im back in Maine now...the truck is
> still in Rochester, NY. Got a rental car for a few days. Well see what
> happens. Im considering selling the DAK to the delarship and getting a
> new one...start fresh again....ahhh..who knows.
>
> -Dakota
> http://dakota.4mg.com

Ouch... think you could get enough out of it by selling it to the dealer
to make it worthwhile? It'd be a shame to have to start all over again,
your truck was really looking good.

Just for reference, the Atlas cases start at $2170 direct from Advance
Adapters, although I'm pretty sure I've seen them advertised closer to
$2000 in the magazines. Still quite a difference, plus I'm not sure what
the deal with the driveshafts would be. I know in a Jeep with their dinky
little driveshafts the length is an issue, as the Atlas isn't the same
length as the 231.

One thing I don't know where you would find would be a 231 with a 4:1 low
range ratio, if that sort of thing interests you. I've seen the
conversion kits, but it seems like it would be easier to just get one with
the low gears from the start.

Or maybe I'm the only one who wants to crawl at a rate of 8 inches per
second at 3000 RPMs :-).

(By way of motivation, I think the right side of that lower waterfall
would be pretty easy with a 4:1 low range, especially with those
Thornbirds. :-)

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario