Re: DML BBQ: Oh the humanity!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 13:19:45 EDT

Jason Bleazard <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:51:37 -0400, Dakota Dodge wrote:

:> Well...for all those that want to know...the cost for a new t-case is
:> $1500.00. Plus 300.00 for labor. Im back in Maine now...the truck is
:> still in Rochester, NY. Got a rental car for a few days. Well see what
:> happens. Im considering selling the DAK to the delarship and getting a
:> new one...start fresh again....ahhh..who knows.
:>
:> -Dakota
:> http://dakota.4mg.com

: Ouch... think you could get enough out of it by selling it to the dealer
: to make it worthwhile? It'd be a shame to have to start all over again,
: your truck was really looking good.

  That's true - it seems like you'd take a bigger hit than $1800 if you
were to sell and buy another.

: Just for reference, the Atlas cases start at $2170 direct from Advance
: Adapters, although I'm pretty sure I've seen them advertised closer to
: $2000 in the magazines. Still quite a difference, plus I'm not sure what
: the deal with the driveshafts would be. I know in a Jeep with their dinky
: little driveshafts the length is an issue, as the Atlas isn't the same
: length as the 231.

   Hmmm, yeah with "only" a $500 difference between a plain jane stock
t-case and an Atlas II, I would probably take a long hard look at the
Atlas. Especially given that you are running larger tires now, etc.
Jason, isn't the Atlas II several orders of magnatude stronger than the
stocker? Seems to me that it would be a shame to spend all that money
just to get the same as stock and then break the thing again! By that
time you could probably have paid for the Atlas II and a solid front
axle swap!

  As far as driveshafts go, that shouldn't be a big deal. You could just
measure once the Atlas II is in and have new ones made up. You can get
a super strong driveshaft with a "if you can break it, we'll replace it
free" guarantee for $200-300 from Denny's Driveshafts. They're actually
about an hour from me near Buffalo; I haven't ever stopped in, but they
advertise in a lot of the magazines and the reviews I've seen of their
products has been nothing but good. They have a web site at
www.dennysdriveshaft.com

  So anyway, I imagine you'd be looking at $2500 in parts for the
Atlas II swap, then there's the matter of labor, unless of course
you were to do it yourself. So I guess its closer to a $1000 difference
but may still be worth looking at...

: Or maybe I'm the only one who wants to crawl at a rate of 8 inches per
: second at 3000 RPMs :-).

  I think that after this BBQ, *everyone* will want to crawl at 8 inches
per second! ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'