Re: 2 quarts low--need expert advice!

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 11:58:00 EDT

Hi Jason - any time the oil level gets that low, the internals are
obviously at risk for serious wear. You said that you are hearing noises
from the engine?

Since your engine was running quiet and normal before the BBQ, its safe
to say you did wear the internals. The question is how bad. If you are
infact burning oil and blowing it through the exhaust, you may have one
or more pistons with shot oil control rings. Since you have the 318
pushrod - you may also have bad valve train componants. (worn cam &
lifters, bent push rods, etc) You said black smoke from the exhaust?
that worries me most of all. Typically you see an engine burning low to
medium amouts of oil, with blue smoke. Black smoke could indicate large
amounts of oil. (which would explain why you were so far down)

Unfortunatly the only real way to diagnose a situation like this is to
basically tear down the engine and check the wear of the internals. Not
a cheap or fast moving process. Best to tow it to a shop you trust -
and have them inspect it a little at a time - top end first.